The Circle of Good
At SPECIFICTM we believe that by using the finest ingredients we create products that deliver genuine health benefits for pets – creating products that vets will be proud to recommend and from which owners see the benefit.
We believe that the sea can provide us vital ingredients in the battle for healthy nutrition.
Preserving our marine environment, and the foods they contain, is key to our beliefs.
We are committed to contributing up to 5% of our profits each year are to charities involved in marine sustainability creating a “Circle of Good”.
This is why SPECIFICTM are pleased to announce that it is now an official supporter of The Ocean Cleanup.
WHAT IS THE OCEAN CLEANUP
The Ocean Cleanup designs and develops advanced technologies to rid the oceans of plastic with the intention of driving the largest cleanup in history
Millions of tons of plastic have been dumped into the oceans, damaging ecosystems and entering food chains.
Large circulating ocean currents concentrate this rubbish into massive garbage patches, the Great Pacific garbage patch being the worst.
To clean this up using vessels and nets will cost billions of dollars and take thousands of years to complete.
The Ocean Cleanup aims to use the natural ocean currents and winds, developing a network of floating U-shaped screens that that catch and channel the plastic to a central point where it can be removed from the Ocean and shipped to shore for recycling.
Computer models predict that The Ocean Cleanup will be able to remove 50% of the Great Pacific garbage patch in just 5 years.
Becoming an Official Supporter of The Ocean Cleanup is our latest proud commitment in this area.
Other organisations we have committed to help include:
- WWF - Baltic Sea in Scandinavia
- WWF in Denmark
- North Sea Foundation in Holland and Belgium
- The Finnish Association for Nature Conservation (FANC)
- WWF Club PME in France
- The Sustainable Seas Foundation & Keep Sweden Tidy Foundation in Sweden
- Marine Conservation Society in UK
Wherever possible we source our ingredients from sustainable and accredited sources.
- Our fishmeal comes from farmed salmon from the Northeast Atlantic FAO 27 Area. (Atlantic Northeast Major Fishing Area 27)
- Our fish oils come from IFFO RS (International Fishmeal and Fish Oil Organisation Standards) certified sources
- Our hydrolysed salmon meal comes from Friend of the sea certified farmed Atlantic salmon
- Our Krill comes from MSC (Marine Stewardship Council) Certified sources
- The majority of our cartons are FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified and we have a project in place to move the remainder over shortly
- In 2016 by stretching the wrap more rightly we reduced by 41% the plastic use for pallet wraps
- Our warehouse has 2500m² of solar panels reducing CO2 emissions by around 25 tonnes per year